Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Peaceful living


I was listening to Relevant Magazine's podcast the other day and heard something profound. The podcast was interviewing Donald Miller author of Blue Like Jazz. They were speaking of issues of Christians and peace. Most often we think of issues of peace as dealing with war. Though this is an aspect of the issue, the whole picture requires that we live peaceful lives with those around us and those we come into contact with. Miller was speaking of a friend that is a peaceful person, one of those people you just like to be around because they are always putting someone else first. Miller said he asked his friend one day, "how do you do it? How do you go through your day without getting angry with people and telling the off?" The friend's reply startled me. He talked of how he treated every encounter with someone as a choice. If the person was irritating him, then he would simply ask the question, "what forces are at work right now trying to get the best of me in this situation?" He continued by stating that each moment is an opportunity to allow peace and the way of Christ to rule over each situation, thereby living the kingdom of God in the present.

Wow...I needed to hear that.

Shalom.

PS As a follow up, there is a very interesting article in the latest edition of Relevant Magazine that talks about practical ways of living a non-violent life. Very good stuff.

3 comments:

m.d. mcmullin said...

Good post.

It's tough to be peaceful sometimes.

We hate being "taken advantage of" so I wonder where the line is between being peaceful and standing up.

I guess if I, as a christian, have to error on one side, I would rather be taken advantage of then to do it to someone else.

ndfugate said...

of course this response may continue to uphold th modernist tenant of individualism. but perhaps we should not throw the baby out with the bathwater

Brandon Anderson said...

I guess you'll be burning your bra or something next week. You dang hippie.