Ok, Holly and I went and saw this movie last night, In Her Shoes. The movie, despite the overtly "chick-flick" qualities, was remarkably well done. The movie featured a poem written by Elizabeth Bishop called "One Art." This poem is all about the art of loosing. No one ever talks about this aspect of life. I think that there is something to be said of those who have mastered the art of loosing, those who have mastered the art of suffering and waiting.
Have you ever loved someone or something so much that it literally felt as if your life would end if it were not there? I don't think that we can really understand the issue of sin and suffering in the world until we understand love that is this deep. There is a fine line that you walk when you love someone or something so deeply. If you take one step to the wrong side of this line, you risk loosing everything. On the other hand, you can take one step to the opposite side and gain everything. Love cannot exist without the one who loves placing herself on the line for the sake of the other. The ability to loose everything is what gives credibility to the ability to gain everything. Why then can I reconcile the suffering and sin in the world with a righteous, holy, perfect God?
God is love.
Saturday, October 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Chris, Sorry for putting this comment here. But, I just wanted to let you know that I added a link to your blog on my COG Blog Directory. You can find it at my place.
Peace, Trav
Thanks Travis. Good work in putting the list together. Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment